It was during 1925 that the work of preparation and installation of the war memorial window was completed. The undertaking had been in progress for several years, the cost – approximating $7,000 – having been defrayed by contributions by members of the congregation. The window is regarded as a magnificent example of this form of art and is by James Ballantine, F.S.A. Scot. Edinburgh. It was unveiled on Sunday, December 13, 1925, by His Excellency the Right Honourable Lord Byng of Vimy, then Governor-General of Canada. The Rev. Thomas Eakin, D.D., preached the sermon while The Rev. A.M. Gordon, D.D., delivered the dedicatory address.
The theme of the memorial is:
The Angel of Peace, radiant in light, free and unfettered, bringing the divine message of hope and ultimate triumph to humanity. Dominating all is the Christ in Majesty, and the supreme symbols, Alpha and Omega, in recognition that Emmanuel – “God with us” – is a reality.
The Angel is boldly portrayed as a young man, with arms extended in deliverance, illustrating the words:
“AND THERE SHALL BE NO MORE DEATH”.
Below this are grouped figures of types representing Adventure, (Explorer); Knowledge, (Scholar); Sacrifice, in pursuit of high and unselfish ends, (Knight) – the keynote of the Memorial; Statesmanship, (King); Industry, (Craftsman); Patience,(Womanhood); Confidence and Courage, (Youth).
At the foot is the following dedicatory inscription:
‘They overcame … and they loved not their lives unto death’.