St. Andrew, the Patron Saint of Scotland, is shown here with the cross behind him.
The stained glass windows of St. Andrew’s Sanctuary span almost a hundred years, from 1894 to 1992. The earliest, on either side of the pulpit, reflect the 1890s taste for naturalistic design based on Renaissance paintings. Windows elsewhere in the church show leanings towards modernism, evident in the simplification and sometimes abstraction of detail, lack of perspective depth, and often a brighter but shallower palette of colours.
Much work has gone into documenting the history of these stained glass windows, a booklet is available at the church with more information. Below is small sample of the stained glass windows found in the Sanctuary, many thanks to Marion Y., Ruth W., David B., Joan M. and Sheila U. for the historic descriptions Photographs by The Rev. Dr. Andrew Johnston, Elizabeth P. and Jamie W.